top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Entry-level Driver

1. Who is an entry-level driver?

An entry-level driver is an applicant attempting to obtain a Class A or B CDL for the first time, upgrade to a Class A or B CDL, or obtain a passenger (P), school bus (S), or a hazardous material (H) endorsement for the first time.

2. What training must an entry-level driver complete to take a commercial driver's license (CDL) skills test?

Entry-level drivers attempting to take a CDL skills test to receive a Class A CDL, Class B CDL, passenger (P) endorsement, or school bus (S) endorsement must complete a mandatory theory (knowledge) and a behind-the-wheel (BTW) training provided by a training provider listed on the TPR.

3. What training must an entry-level driver complete to obtain a Hazardous Material (H) endorsement?

To obtain a Hazardous Materials (H) endorsement, the entry-level driver must complete mandatory theory (knowledge) training provided by a training provider listed on the TPR prior to taking the knowledge test for the Hazardous Materials (H) endorsement.

4. If I obtain a commercial driver license (CDL) before February 7, 2022, but have not obtained a school bus (S), passenger (P), or hazardous materials (H) endorsement before February 7, 2022, am I still subject to the ELDT requirements?

Yes. Any driver applying to obtain an S, P, or H endorsement for the first time is required to complete the ELDT.


5. I was issued a Knowledge Test Authorization (KTA) prior to February 7, 2022, but did not successfully complete my knowledge testing until on or after February 7, 2022. Am I required to comply with the ELDT requirements?

Yes. Drivers who did not successfully pass required core knowledge testing must comply with ELDT requirements.

6. Will I be permitted to take a skills test or hazardous materials knowledge test if I have not complied with the ELDT requirements?

Driver License Center or Third-party Testing Center staff will verify that an entry-level driver has completed the required training before allowing the driver to proceed with testing.

7. What is the Training Provider Registry (TPR)?

The TPR is a system created and managed by FMCSA. The system will list all ELDT providers that are approved by FMCSA and allow ELDT providers to submit ELDT completion information to the TPR. The completion information maintained on the TPR serves as the proof that the entry-level driver applicant has completed the required ELDT.

8. Who can provide Entry Level Driver Training?

Only training providers listed on the TPR can provide ELDT.

9. Can I complete my training at an approved provider out of state? 

Yes. If the training provider is on the TPR.

bottom of page